Saturday, June 11

[Indulgence] RPG

Have you ever played any role-playing games before?

When I was small, we used to play the family game (家家酒). Either we played with masak-masak (needed to prepare daily meals or to open a restaurant), stuffed dolls (needed to fill the the positions of children and pets, or even neighbours), mom's old handbags (needed when the mama goes to the market), else we would be replaying the scene of the drama shown the day before. Yeah, and there was Barbie doll. Dress her up beautifully. With my own hanky and some unwanted piece of cloth, ribbons, wrappers, rubber bands, basically anything. To fulfill some of my own desires and little dreams. Everything will be perfect if added imaginations - something that we are slowly losing as we grow.

As I grow, there are computer games. Cool RPGs. Cool adventures. Cool experience. I can decide whether I wanted to be a chaotic evil or a lawful good guy. Choose my own weapons. Skills. Magic spells. Finish off the enemies. Give him a head shot. Slice them. Level up and gain new power, and become stronger. And most of all, in games, we can save and load. Yes, LOAD game. My favourite part. The mistakes would be undone and I can play it differently to get the ending I wanted. The fate of our characters is in our own hands.

Role-playing games, simply make dreams come true.

I'm the cursed and fiery assassin.


I kill cute things. (Yeah, including the cute bard down there.)


I kill macho big bulls and frail lil' mages. (The other assassin just failed to take them down. Pity.)


I hate bugs. Grrr. /pif.


Those two are my subordinates. Notice those sunglasses? Oh well, they just like to follow my style.


Oh yeah, and these are my slaves.


*Pals, sorry for abusing our screenshots. Ahaha. /gg.*

Well, real life role-playing aren't that satisfying. One can be a father, a husband, a son, a friend, a colleague and other roles at the same time. The wider the range of the roles one play, the bigger and heavier one's responsibility is. Even one role can be divided to a few roles. For example, a student. He can be a prefect, a senior, a junior, a president of a club, a teacher's helper, a good friend, a popular kid...you name it. The bitter part of the real life RPG is he cannot undo any decisions made or actions taken.

Things won't really go our way in real life. It's not easy to play all your roles at the same time. It's tiring. But I didn't deny that it is enjoyable (Just like bittergourd, I like the bitterness and the sweetness it gives). You get to learn, to experience, and so you'll know how others feel if they're in your shoes.

I don't know how it works, but I still think that role-playing makes dreams come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home