Thursday, May 5

[Indulgence] When the Sun Is at the Other Side of the Earth

It's night time. The sun is at the other side of the earth. No moon, no stars (due to urbanization). I wonder how long since I last slept for 8 hours.

I like the day time, and the night time.

Good morning. The sun shines, it's warm and bright and clear. There is hope, since it's the beginning of a day. I like to see the rays of sunlight sneaking through the half-opened windows to my room in the morning.
I don't really like the afternoon. Warm. Sleepy. Work. Activities. Meetings. Tiredness. The sun is too bright and too high above, directly shining on top of my head. I don't feel like doing anything. It's like I'm lost and trapped in the middle of a day. I wonder how many afternoons have I wasted away.
And the evenings, time to go home. Take a shower and rest. I don't really like to work in the evenings. After classes and activities, who wouldn't want a nice hot bath and lay freely on your bed to rest?

Finally.
Night time. Normally it's the time where I do most of my work. To me, the night is like a gate, a bridge, the Nai He Bridge, (奈何桥).

Believed by the Chinese/Buddhist, the bridge is where dead people (their souls) will go to after they die. It was believed that there will be an old lady, Meng Po (孟婆), standing before the bridge, who will give them a bowl of soup (孟婆汤,soup of Meng Po)to drink, and that they will forget about their past life, and tou tai (投胎), to start a new life again.

Yeah. A new life, a new day and a new beginning. After the night, it's another day again. The sun will rise; I'll have to repeat my routine again. And yes I could make changes if there's a new beginning for me. What will you do when you know you are going to die soon? To do the things undone? The same goes for me. I finish most of my work at night, because the end is near. I have to finish it before another day comes.

You're right, the eleventh hour, is when I do my work. Miserable.

Staying awake through the night is sometimes enjoyable.

For the first time I didn't sleep for the night, I was studying history for JUEC (Junior Unified Examinations Certificate). I was nervous. Since I've messed up my well-organized routine (It was before, but not anymore). I felt dizzy, I was hungry, I felt strengthless. And yet I still kept on stuffing the history in my brain. (It doesn't help much though. I still got a B for it.)

For the next few times feeling the earth rotating, I'm getting used to it. All I can say now is, the night is inspiring. (As people might wonder, normally I'm staying up to study, and dozed off somehow.) The night is as silent as the graveyard. A few barks from the neighbour's dog, some mourning of the bugs, some food-hunting lizards. No cars, no unwanted noises. People in the house have fallen asleep too. There is only me, and my time. My own precious night. I like the silence. I like my own time and space, where I can create my own dreams with no disturbance. I have a lot in mind, and I can sketch it all out at the silent night.

No pain, no gain. Although the night is wonderful, staying through it is getting me eye bags and fatigue. But for the inspirations and the arts, it's worth it.

1 Comments:

Blogger emmajeans murmured...

Your words are evocative and lyrical. Thank you.

May 23, 2005 8:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home